Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Senior Year as a College Student

New Single from Carrie Underwood! 


One Year Baby! 


Today marks our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! I can't believe it's been one year already. So much has happened, and yet it feels like it was just yesterday Mitchell and I met at orientation. It really has been the best year of my life and I can't wait for this next year! I love you, Mitchell!!! This past weekend, he took me on an amazing fall date. He knows full well that Fall is one of my favorite times of year, so what could be better than going to a pumpkin patch?! We had so much fun, even though it was blazing hot!! The date days (yes, he spanned these over Friday and Saturday) consisted of movie night in a fort, Jeni's ice cream, a day at the farm/pumpkin patch, shopping, and Dave & Busters! He is really the best. I love him so crazy much!





Yes, he had a fire place going on his computer! :)
He's into the details! :) 

Senior Year/College Probs


I'm finally sitting down at my computer to write my monthly recap, and I'm blown away that September is almost over! When did that happen?! The first month of senior year....dunzo. Crap, that means I am one month closer to having to figure out what the heck comes next! (More on that later) If I've learned anything this first month being back at school, it is that college is NOT real life. In fact, it kinda sucks to be honest. People keep telling me to "enjoy this time because it's the best years of your life". I sure hope not! While I'm trying hard not to wish my life away and enjoy being in the moment, I'm really looking forward to real life.

College life consists of this: waking up (too early) in the morning to go to class for 4-5 hours, interning (working for free), and coming home to work on homework for at least 7 hours every single night. Pleas tell me what job in the real world is like college? I know real life is going to have its own set of challenges, I'm not naive to that fact, but I'm ready and excited for those challenges. This whole college thing? Kinda over it, to be completely honest. I want a normal schedule! I want to be able to sleep for longer than 5 hours a night! I want to be able to just unwind after work and not have to worry about homework or projects and papers! Dangit I just want to be married already!!

Okay, so that's one part of my brain....totally over this college thing and ready to be done. But then the LOGICAL part of my brain says, "um hello....that means you'll have to figure out what to do with your life after college." Crap. That's right. As stressful as college is, it's fairly predictable in that I know what I'm doing. Even though it's kicking my but, I can handle it because I know what to expect, for the most part anyway. Real life? Yeah, I don't quite have that figured out yet. Senior year brings up the one big question, "what next?" Well, for us that's fairly simple. 2 weeks after graduation is our wedding! HURRAY!! Then after that is the honeymoon!!! HURRAYYY AGAIN! Then after that, real life. NOT HURRRAYY!

While I've found much freedom with this new major and am enjoying every minute of it, it kind of put me back at square one when it came to knowing where I was going post graduation. I was studying music business and was going to get a job in music publishing. That was pretty clear cut. But then, God decided I had gotten a little too comfortable and wanted something different with my life. Trust me when I say, I'm all about the Lord's plans over my own, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was scared out of my mind. I loved the idea of switching to be a Communications major because it opened me up to so many possibilities! Who wouldn't love that, right?! The possibilities are endless....that's a good thing....usually. Not for me right now. See, endless possibilities make it much harder for me to narrow my focus and decide what kind of job/career to pursue. I feel like I'm having another life crisis where I can't seem to figure out what I want to be!! Can you see my I feel like I'm losing my mind? I have issues...and its all college's fault!

Alright so it really isn't all that bad, and I know that full well. It will be fine. I've actually started working with career services and they have resources that are helping me narrow my focus and decide what areas to pursue. And like I keep telling Mitchell, a job is a job. Coming right out of college, I may not find my dream job, and you know what? That's perfectly okay with me, because at least we'll have each other. It will all work out. God called me to this, and I know He'll bring me through. I thank and praise Him for that!

Whew! Okay, so now that my mini rant/freak out/ meltdown is over, let me fill you in on what has been going on this first month back at school. When I say it's been crazy, I mean it's been crazy. Like more than an emotional roller coaster. We have the whole emotional theme park with multiple crazy rides of emotions/stress/meltdowns/revelations!

A verse that has been convicting me to the core lately is Matthew 6:25-34. I'm declaring this a life verse that I want so engrained in me, it will become a part of who I am! Lord knows I need more faith and less worry in my life these days.

"So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life -- whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes. Doesn't life consist of more than food and clothing? Look at the birds. They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are. Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not." "And why worry about your clothes? Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you? You have so little faith!" "So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs,  and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."  "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."


Spring Internship! 


The first week back, I had an interview for a spring internship. In true Emily fashion, I was trying to be ahead of the game! I met with a pastor from Cross Point church and I am so blessed to announce that I will be interning with their Communications department! :) I'm actually really excited about this because Mitchell and I absolutely love our church. Cross Point really is one of my favorite things about life in Nashville. We've each found our unique ways to be involved and serve, while still being able to share the weekly services together. I couldn't ask for a better home church, and I'm really excited to see how it works behind the scenes and work with the incredible Cross Point team! Praise God....this was a win!

Mitchell is Awesome


Can I just take a moment to brag about my man for a second? I know he would never say this on such a public forum because he is too humble, but I'm just so dang proud of him, and I know we'll want to remember this when we look back at these posts in 20 years! He was just accepted in the Curb College One on One program! This means, he will be personally mentored by an industry executive at Sony Music here in Nashville. He'll get to meet all sorts of publishers and spend time in recording studios and pitch meetings! It's such an amazing opportunity for him and he deserves it! WAY TO GO MITCHELL!!

Daniel Bible Study


The second week of school I joined an all girls Bible study with some other Belmont girls and a faculty member who is kind of leading us through this. We decided to do Beth Moore's Daniel Study. WOW! Talk about some heavy stuff. It's been an incredible first few weeks so far, and we will do this same study until the end of the semester. I don't know where to even begin sharing about this study. I didn't quite know what to expect to be honest. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to learn from the book of Daniel. I quickly realized that I had SO much to learn about Babylon and the culture that surrounded Daniel back then, and how we're living in our own modern day Babylon of self absorption, idolatry, and material comfort. It's convicting me every single week, and I can feel the changes being made in my heart from it. If I tried to explain it all to you, we would we here forever. I would just recommend you do the study for yourself. Trust me when I say it'll be well worth your time! It wasn't long ago that I was praying to God about the fact that I felt I needed a good group of girlfriends who would encourage me in my own walk with the Lord. I'm so grateful He answered this prayer! He is good!

Just to add to my feelings of uncertainty and uneasiness about life post-graduation, Belmont informed me that it was already time to "apply for graduation". Yeah, it freaked me out too. While I'm so excited to graduate and finally be done with college, and then get married a couple weeks later, it also scares me to death knowing that there are a lot of uncertainties that go along with graduating. Besides the whole job hunt and all of that jazz, there is also the question of "where the heck are we going to live?"

Where to Live 


I'll be the first to admit that I worry and obsess over this way more than I should. Mitchell keeps telling me that it doesn't make sense to even start looking yet, because the things we find now may not even be available in the spring. I know he is right, but there is a part of me that just needs to know! I need to know where we're going to live, right?! Well, that's the kicker about this whole having faith thing. The truth is, I actually don't need to know. God will provide for our every need. That includes a place to live. And I'm preaching this as much to myself as I am to you reading. God will provide for our every need. Nashville is full of options when it comes to housing, and just like the first job out of college, our first home doesn't have to be our home forever. As I'm writing this I'm reminded of how patient the Lord is with me. He knows I need it!

One day as I was driving home from Show Hope, I got lost. I mean really really lost. I was trying to avoid traffic so I decided to take an alternative route home. Bad idea! I ended up going the complete wrong direction, AND my phone was too low on battery to power my GPS. I was going to lose power in a matter of minutes. It was a stressful few minutes and I spent most of it on the phone crying with Mitchell because I was overwhelmed and lost and overly emotional because of sleep deprivation. He did his best to calm me down (his patience with me is also something I'll never fully understand), and I finally made it to a road I was familiar with just in time for my phone to die. As I was driving home that day through areas of Tennessee unfamiliar to me, I realized something. There are SO many housing options in Tennessee. Really, there are. I'm thoroughly convinced that God let me get lost on purpose to show me this. It was like he was trying to show me how ridiculous my worry about this was. Of course we'll find a place to live! Of course He'll provide us a home! I was driving myself crazy with worry for absolutely no reason at all. Plus, I was also reminded how beautiful the state of Tennessee is.

So basically three life lessons have been learned thus far: 1.) God cares about the jobs we have, and He will provide. 2.) God cares about where we live, and He will provide. and 3.) Worrying won't add a single moment to my life (Matthew 6:27).

Sing! 


A few weekends ago, Mitchell and I went to see Ed Sheeran at the Bridgestone with some friends. WHAT AN AMAZING PERFORMER! Seriously, I was and still am blown away every time I think about it. He had NO band. Just him, his guitar, and looper petal. He was able to sell out an entire tour with the most simply stage setup. You know why? Because his songs are killer, that's why!!


Seriously, this guy is an amazing songwriter, and performing. Here is my list of favorites! 
Ed Sheeran – Sing
Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
Ed Sheeran – I See Fire
Ed Sheeran – Photograph
Ed Sheeran – Tenerife Sea
Ed Sheeran – I'm A Mess
Ed Sheeran – One
Ed Sheeran – Bloodstream
Ed Sheeran – Runaway
Ed Sheeran – The A Team
Ed Sheeran – Lego House
Ed Sheeran – You Need Me, I Don't Need You
Ed Sheeran – Give Me Love
Ed Sheeran – This

**************************************************************************

Missing Home


I think its because of all of the uncertainties in life right now, its making me homesick for my family and for home. I think maybe because its a place I've always felt safe. I think it also has to do with the various health concerns my family has been experiencing lately. My grandpa Berndt has been hospitalized after having 3 strokes, and we're all praying like crazy for him! God has him in His strong and mighty hands, we know that, and my grandpa is a man of faith, but it's still hard being this far away from family when I want nothing more than to be right there with them. A couple weeks ago it got to me too overwhelming and I was so unbelievably homesick so Mitchell and I made a trip home. Very sudden and unexpected but very much needed. Mitchell is really the best for putting up with me. He loves my family so good and they love him too! Its rather comical when we look back on it now how sudden this trip home was. My mom was probably the most surprised, but she sure didn't complain!

I'm sure I don't have to tell ya'll this because I'm sure you already know that my family is the best! I can't tell you how good it was to be home again. It was refreshing and just all around therapeutic for the both of us I think. I'm also grateful I was able to go up and see my Grandpa in the hospital. We're praying for you Grandpa! We love you!!! We were also able to drive to Alexandria to see Grandpa and Grandma Sipe. Grandma had just had surgery on her knee and was recovering. Grandpa was getting ready to have a heart procedure. It was nice to be able to spend time with the grandparents! I would've gone crazy knowing all of this health stuff was happening and I was stuck on the other side of the country!

GOOD NEWS is....fall break is coming up! I'm so excited to work on some wedding plans and spend some more time with family. Autumn in Minnesota is my absolute favorite! Plus, Mom is coming in November to visit!!! I know I will have lots of quality family time, and it makes me so happy just thinking about it. Family really is the best. And when it comes to family, I'm beyond blessed. :)

Sidenote: how amazing do they look?! They've both been losing weight and getting fit!
So proud of them!! Mom is even doing PIYO with me!!! :)
Minnesota from the sky! 


30 Day Challenge: I DID IT! 


For those of you that have been following along on my 30 Day Challenge, I finished it!!! Hurray!!!! I really do think it was a worthwhile thing to do. I'm kind of a nerd who is into all of that self improvement stuff. ;) My main takeaways were:

1. PUSH goal 
Setting the goal that makes all of the others possible. Mine had to do with my spiritual health and growing closer to God during life's various obstacles and triumphs. 
2. Setting goals 
Seems kind of obvious, but I can't say I've ever put my goals down on paper. And I certainly never made goal milestones before, but this challenge forced me to. And it's kinda fun checking off the milestones and feeling like I'm actually getting closer to those goals! 
3. Skillfully Crafted and Diligently Maintained to do list
I was the person who put 50+ things on her to do list. This challenge taught me how to make a list that was actually doable and manageable. I still use this technique and probably will for the rest of my life. Even Mitchell is doing it now!! 
4. Time Management 
I was forced to look at how much time I was wasting on social media, and how having it on my phone made me extremely unproductive and unavailable at times. I made the decision to remove Facebook from my phone, and the results of that have been astonishing!! 
5. Positive self talk
Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed or like I can't do it, I remember a verse that says, "i can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."-Philippians 4:13

Testify!


I'm one of those people who is very interested and convicted by other people's testimonies. I absolutely love hearing people's stories of how they came to know the Lord. They give me so much joy!! All of you know by now from reading previous posts how much I look up to Candace Cameron Bure. I recently listened to a recording of her testimony and was moved to tears at multiple points throughout. She shares about her belief in the power of prayer, and how she prayed for her husband to come to know the Lord like she did. It was incredibly moving and I really do encourage you to check it out! 


*******************************************************************
Well, there ya have it....September in kind of a nutshell. It's been a challenging month, but a time where Mitchell and I have learned so many different life lessons. The most important being that God will provide for our needs. He will provide for your needs too! All you have to do is put your faith in Him! 

Thanks for checking in on life. I love you all!

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment