Tuesday, September 27, 2016

"You're a Christian right? So you are voting republican?"

Sitting here catching up on last night's debate, I can't help but think back to some of the comments I've heard people make about this upcoming election. Most of them, in reference to my age and the tendency of millennial's to vote liberal, most comments go a little something like this:

"If you vote for her, it's your future down the toilet." 

I don't believe that's true. 
I believe: 

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose." 
Romans 8:28

or


 "This is an incredibly dangerous election."


I believe this: 

"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? 
If God is for us, who can be against us?" 
Romans 8:31

"The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?" 
Psalm 27 


"You're a Christian right? So you are voting republican?"

As if Christian's only have 1 choice in this upcoming election? The last time I checked, Christians (just like everyone else in this country) have many choices. You aren't going to be able to guilt or shame me into voting for Donald Trump to keep my "Christian card". My identity as a Christian is rooted in what I believe about God, Jesus, and a personal relationship with my Savior. 

or, my personal favorite, 

"Well, Christian's need to be extremely 
worried about what this election could mean." 

As Americans, yes we do need to be 
informed about this election. 
But as a Christian, no, I don't believe that I need to be or SHOULD be worried at all. 

Here's why. 

The God that I choose to believe in is bigger than the President of the United States. God will still be God if Donald Trump is President. God will still be God if Hilary Clinton is president. The outcome of this election isn't going to surprise the God that I believe in. And what's more, I don't believe for one minute that God's love for me, ability to provide for me, protect me, and work things out for the good of those who love and trust in Him is dependent on who is president. Quite honestly, the God I believe in can do anything, regardless of who holds the title of the POTUS. 

I believe that God is bigger that this political arena. Period. 

So, am I afraid of what might happen to me after Donald or Hilary becomes president?

 No, I'm not worried. The God I believe in promises me NOT to worry, because He has got my back, He loves me, He cares MORE about my future than any president ever could or would. 

I trust God with my future, and that is in no way shape or form dependent on who becomes president, because regardless of what America decides, I trust God's power, ability, and His heart to take care of those who choose to believe in Him and trust Him.

God's love, protection, provision, and blessing of me isn't based on who I vote for, or what I believe politically. No, the God I believe in will still love me and look out for my very best interests if I vote for Donald Trump. And the God I believe in will still love me and look out for my very best interests if I vote for Hilary Clinton. Heck, the God I believe in will still love me and look out for my very best interests if I choose NOT to vote or if I choose not to give a rat's behind about politics at all.

I believe that God's love, His power, His provision, His sovereignty, His existence for that matter, isn't based on politics. God isn't constrained by political agendas regardless of who ends up president.

As long as I choose to trust Him and believe in Him to take care of my life and love me forever, there's no vote I could cast, no choice I could make, or anything I could ever do that would tie God's hands from being able and willing to take care of those He created in the first place. 

I'm not looking to air out all of my own political beliefs and opinions, (although I'm open to those types of discussions.) I just felt the urgency to share my heart about this upcoming election, and how I trust that my future is in good hands- God's good hands.


***********************************************************************

Things I'm Keeping in Mind this Election Season: 

“Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, atall the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”


Matthew 25:35-40New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’


No comments:

Post a Comment