Saturday, August 29, 2015

No Strings Attached: What God is Teaching Me About Love & Forgiveness

I firmly believe with all of my heart that the biggest thing that breaks God’s heart, and the number one problem in the world today, is this: we’ve allowed hate to become bigger than love. 

We allow our hate for someone/something to overshadow our love for the people we love, and the love of Jesus that we are supposed to be giving out freely like candy at a parade. We hang on to hate, gotten distracted from the greatest commandment ever given and we’ve allowed resentment to take it’s place in our hearts. And that….makes me sad. 

Jesus says in the book of John "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34) There right there. That’s the whole point of this life. To love one another as Jesus himself loves us. How does Jesus love? Unconditionally. Jesus loves us. Jesus forgives us (and, yes, we are all in need of this grace and mercy on a daily basis!) Jesus dishes out grace to us time and time again, even when we don’t deserve it. 

That is how we’ve been called to love one another. And not to those who are “easy” to love. No, Jesus’ call to love one another is far from easy. In fact, He calls us to love our enemies! “But I tell you, love your enemies” (Matthew 5:44) It’s a hard task. Impossible even. Yes, to love like this is impossible for us to do on our own. That’s why we so desperately need Jesus to help us love others the way He has commanded us to. Even when we don’t feel like it. Even when they’ve hurt us time and time again, we love them. Even when it goes against every fiber of our being. Because you know what? That’s how Jesus loves us.

Jesus doesn’t put conditions on his love for us. Jesus doesn’t love me any less when I behave poorly or make mistakes. What does he do instead? He forgives me! He loves me and He forgives me time and time again. Do I deserve that kind of grace and love? No! Do ANY of us? Absolutely not.

To truly love someone doesn’t mean you have to agree with, or condone everything they do. You don’t have to excuse away how they’ve hurt you or messed up. It does mean offering forgiveness and letting go of grudges and resentment. That is what the Bible teaches about forgiveness. And what’s more, there isn’t a limit on how many times we’re commanded to do this. Think about it: Jesus doesn’t put a limit on how many servings of forgiveness and grace He gives us. If He did, we would all be in some SERIOUS trouble. Jesus commands us to love like He loved. That includes forgiving like He forgives. Again, this is not something we’re able to accomplish in our own strength. We desperately need God to empower us to do this.


“Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.(Matthew 18:21-22).


Jesus spells it out very clearly that there should be no limit. I’m not saying this is easy. It’s hard as hell. Especially when the person in need of our forgiveness in no way deserves it or worse, doesn’t even want it, or worse yet, doesn’t even realize they’ve done anything wrong! But that is beside the point. We can only control our own selves and what we allow to reside within our hearts. When hate becomes greater than love, that is our own sin and it’s poison. It’s like that old quote “bitterness is like drinking poison yourself and expecting the other person to die.” Ultimately, int only hurts ourselves.

So, what’s the good news? The good news is that Jesus has opened himself up to us and is willing to help us with this humanly impossible task! He is willing and able to help us overcome hate, bitterness, resentment, and unforgiveness. I don't know about you, but this is extremely good news for me! I know I could use the help. :)

Ultimately, our commitment to living out God's commandment to love and forgive needs to be greater than the hate. It's a simple concept to understand, yet it's hard to live out. Again, the good news is, we don't have to do it alone. Jesus is willing and able to forgive and love through us.

The only question is, are we willing to free ourselves and let Jesus love in and through us?

It's a daily choice I have to make. Will I allow myself to let go of the bitterness and unforgiveness the world tells me I have a right to hold onto, and actively choose to love instead? Lord Jesus, help me choose love.

No comments:

Post a Comment